Century Bowling & Sports Club

About Us

HISTORY of CENTURY BOWLING & SPORTS CLUB LTD

The Club was formed in 1928 adjoining the Century Hotel in Forty Lane, Wembley.   As the facilities deteriorated over the years and the brewers were reluctant to effect any improvements, Members had to look for a new site.   A Member, who lived in Logan Road, had a very large garden, his neighbour had  similar facilities, they both sold part of their land, and with a Loan of £3,000 the ‘top green’ was laid and Century Bowls moved to Logan Road, it’s present home.  After the war a second green was laid in 1948.

In the early 1950’s members of a local tennis club joined forces, adding their pavilion to the club premises.  Even in those early day’s indoor bowls was played on a green baize carpet.  October 1961 saw the opening of a new indoor bowling green which now forms part of the new clubhouse.  Then in 1964 the tennis section closed and the land, plus extra purchased from GEC became available.  Eventually in 1975 a new brick clubhouse was built with bar, dining hall and social facilities.  Then in 1990 a decision was made to demolish the existing rink and build a new purpose built rink.

In 2007 a decision was made to sell one of the outdoor greens and change the other to an “All weather” green in order to invest for the long term future of the club.  Century is now the first club in Middlesex to have an "All weather" outdoor green as well as an indoor green.  In 2010 the Indoor green was re-laid and re-carpeted.

These splendid facilities have been a venue for Bowling Association matches ever since.  None of the above would have been possible withour the unstinting hard work and dedication of so many Members, both now and in the past.

Content © Century Bowling & Sports Club Ltd 2014
Photography © R Miller 2014